Someone recently mentioned to me that a lot of my recipes are more “wintery” than “summery”. Are those even actual words? Anyhow, I thought about it and realized this is probably a fairly accurate representation, so this week needed to be a definitively “summery” recipe. Enter my recipe for a Chicken & Avocado Green Salad! What’s more summery than a salad? Plus, I’ve been on a total salad kick this summer as I’ve previously mentioned.
What makes this Chicken & Avocado Green Salad so summery? (If I use the word enough times it’ll become a real word, right?) Well it is loaded with all the fresh farmer’s market summer finds: avocados, green onions, and cilantro! With the lime juice, it kind of has a south of the border flavor and it’s always summer south of the border, right?
Since I’m usually cooking for 1, I like that this salad can be made and then stored in the fridge to throw over fresh greens each day for lunch. If you are going to stretch it out like I do, I recommend adding the avocado and salad greens right before you are going to eat it rather than mixing them in on the first day. It keeps well for 3-4 days in a sealed container in the fridge but the avocados will brown and it won’t look as appetizing.
Chicken & Avocado Green Salad
(AIP, Paleo, GAPS, SCD, Whole30, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free)
Prep & Cook time: 30 mins
- 2 Tbsp Organic Coconut Oil
- 1.5 lbs Organic Free-Range Chicken Thighs (boneless & skinless)
- 3 Avocados
- 3 Green Onions
- 1/2 bunch of fresh Organic Cilantro
- 2 Tbsp Lime Juice or juice from 1-2 Limes
- 1 Tbsp Organic Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Organic Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Real Salt, plus more to taste
- optional Organic Ground Black Pepper, to taste*
- 8 ounces Organic Spring Mix
*for AIP omit the ground black pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the coconut oil and cook the chicken thighs until they are cooked through and browned on the outside. You can also use chicken breast, I just prefer the flavor of chicken thighs. Set aside.
- While the chicken is cooking, cut the avocados in half, remove the pits, and dice the avocados into small cubes
- Finely chop the green onions and cilantro
- Add the avocados, green onions, and cilantro to a large salad bowl
- Add the lime juice, olive oil, garlic powder and salt to the mix and toss to combine
- Chop the chicken into cubes and add it to the salad bowl. Mix everything really well!
- When you are ready to serve, plate the spring mix and serve the chicken & avocado mix on top. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy this Chicken & Avocado Green Salad with some plantain chips for a south of the border flair!
Please let me know if you have any questions or comments, I love hearing from you! Spread the Love and share this recipe with someone!
If you would like help creating healthy meals, then Transformational Nutrition Coaching could help!
Book a FREE Discovery Session with me today and let’s work together to create a plan and transform your life!
I have saved a ton of money while eating Real Foods by shopping at Thrive Market! This has been my favorite place to shop for real food pantry staples and non-toxic home and personal products for over 2 years! You can read my review of their service in a previous post. Think Costco + Whole Foods + delivered to your doorstep!
This post contains affiliate links. Read my affiliate disclosure.
Disclaimer: The information in this post is not intended as medical advice, or to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional. Marcelle encourages you to make your own health care decisions based upon your research, and in partnership with your doctor, licensed dietitian, or nutritionist. The information provided in this post and the entire contents of www.marcellephene.com are based upon the opinions of Marcelle Phene and are for general educational purposes, and have not been reviewed nor approved by the FDA. You are solely responsible for your health care and activity choices.